Make the Plan
Find out the total amount you need to save.
- Meet with your high school guidance counselor about a cost breakdown for your Junior and Senior year expenses.
- Ask your parents what they will be able to contribute to find out how much you will need to save in order to cover the difference.
- Determine what you need to set aside monthly to meet that saving goal.
- Figure your total expense.
- Divide that number by months left to graduation.
- This total is what you need to set aside monthly.
Figure Out Where to Save It
How quickly you need the money will determine the type of account you use. If you'll need access to the cash within the next year, consider a Money Market account. If you have more time to save, perhaps a Share Certificate or Youth Share Certificate is the way to go. Just call us. We'll help you figure out your best options.
Make it Happen
Ask yourself, “How will I come up with the money?” Here are some suggestions:
- Get a job
- Host a yard sale
- Do work for neighbors such as yard work or babysitting
- Sell back any old video games
Your senior year of high school is an exciting time in your life. Plan ahead so you can enjoy the experience!
* Virginia Beach PTSA based on 2012 cost estimates. Excluding auto expenses.